In Relative Strangers, Kathy Bates and Danny De Vito's roles are those of two hillbilly parents who gave up their son at birth to a wealthy family. The boy later tries to find his biological parents, only to discover that they aren't wealthy and they certainly aren't classy either.
Neve Cambell's role of the wife to be, see's the parents for what they are, slightly rough around the edges, but filled with love. The boy/man, totally hates them. He struggles with the fact that there is any shared DNA there, and wants them out and so chases them away.
In the end, he finds a locket that his mother wore around her neck, with a baby picture of him in. And that brought it home to him, that they are his parents, whether they are smart or not, they are blood.
Well, that's a little bit like me.
I have been embarrassed about my family since I was a child. I don't know why I felt like I was better than them, but the truth is, I did.
I was the smartest child in our family, and boy, did I rub it in everybody's faces. I went to a smart little boarding school to further my education, and I'm the only one in our family that's got tertiary education.
For the longest time, I didn't want to go home, or have them meet my friends. I just tried to live on my own.
But then, when my ex-boyfriend and me broke up and I was in a horrible situation, my mother drove 2.5 hours to come and get me. My mother, my brothers and my sister showed me so much love, and that's when I realised, that we are family. We are blood. We are the people we can count on in heavy times.
I think things change when you decide to love people for who they are and accept them and the things they find fashionable. Even if it's not your taste, it doesn't mean that there's not a heart and soul beneath it all that just want to please you and love you and be loved back.
On Sunday,my brother, his wife and two small children arrived after a twelve hour drive. Tonight, my mother, her boyfriend, my sister, her husband and two teen boys, my dad, his girlfriend, my brother and his wife are driving a grueling 18 hours down to the Western Cape to be at my wedding. Because, they love me. And I, I love them back.



No comments:
Post a Comment