Thursday, May 20, 2010

Our Story - Part 6

One morning in August I went to a meeting with our attorneys.
During the months that I've moved out and worked at the Finance firm and waitressed at night, I've kept up with my own property development. Which, in itself went through some major ups and downs, but it was nearing it's end and I needed to discuss the other part of the business, since none of the 3 partners now spoke to one another.
It's a strange thing. Money, business and friends mixed together always seems like a good idea when you start talking about it. The harsh reality is that it changes people for the worst. Myself too.
I have never been more grateful that I signed my own project late in the losing game.  Even though, there weren't much financial gains whilst the build was continuing.... had a sad feeling that I had been losing all the capital I've put in.
We met up with the attorney. I spoke first. I wanted out. I wanted us to sell it all, cut our losses and move on.
Ex-boy became defiant. He didn't want any of that.
I knew then and there that I will never be able to leave for London. I will always be bound by this business until it is all gone.
As I drove, I could barely see the road through my misty teary eyes. I felt defeated.
I stopped at the garage and with my last R10 I chose to buy cigarettes instead of a bread.
How did it turn out to be this hard? I did my best, but still I felt like the earth was falling beneath me.
That night I woke up and threw up. I knew I was trapped in this awful town with these awful people in my life. I wanted to die.
But then, I remembered my dream file. My file full of brochures of London. I remembered an ad I cut out of the Junk Mail. This travel agent that organizes your Visa and borrows you the money you need in your bank account. Trouble is, it was going to cost R5,000. I just spent my last R10 on cigarettes...and rent, was going to have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment